Polaroid Photo

Pictures from Mike and Anita James

Mike and Anita James

Reaching Children – Training Leaders

Choose a Topic:

Sep '14

Introducing….Samuel Timotheus James


One week ago, our lives changed dramatically.  On Sunday morning, we were in Royse City, TX doing a family service.  My worst fear was that my water would break while on stage at a church.  Fortunately, that didn’t happen.  It happened two hours later in the parking lot of a restaurant while we were saying goodbye to the pastor.  We went home, and I wanted to make sure that it was really happening before I called the doctor.  After going home, I decided that it wasn’t as bad as I thought, so we packed bags in preparation for the next day, when I was to be induced.

After dinner, we went to Wal-Mart to get some things, and my water broke even more.  I decided to call the doctor, who said to get to the hospital.  Things seemed pretty normal.  I was at the hospital about 12 hours before I was scheduled to be.  We were all excited.  They let me continue with labor for an hour or so before starting medicine to help the process go faster.  After a few more hours, we suddenly had 4 or 5 nurses in the room, and they were giving so many commands, calling for a doctor and stopping the labor process for me.  It was a little scary, to say the least.  We found out that Samuel’s heart rate had dropped for a long time, and they were having problems getting it back up.  Because I wasn’t far enough along in the process, they wanted to do a c-section because they were concerned that Samuel’s  heart rate would drop, and we would lose him.  I didn’t want to have that procedure done, but I trusted the doctors to know better than I did, and I wanted a healthy baby, so that’s what we did.

God’s hand has definitely been on this child.  I wasn’t supposed to be able to get pregnant, so he is a miracle.  I didn’t understand why my water would break and send me to the hospital 12 hours earlier than planned, but God knew.  I needed to be at the hospital so they could monitor him.  During the c-section, the doctor discovered that the placenta was pulling away from the uterus.  God had his hand on this part of the process too and knew when I needed to have the surgery.  If the placenta had pulled away any further, it could’ve caused loss of oxygen/brain damage for Samuel or bleeding for him and me.  I’m very grateful that God was working all things together for our good!


So, at 7:18 Monday, 15 September, Samuel greeted the world.  He was only 6 pounds 14 ounces.  After having Grace at 9 pounds 9 ounces, I still look at him and see the tinniest baby.  Of course, he’s also the cutest baby around.  He has a head full of dark hair, and we just can’t get enough of him.  He is healthy and happy baby.  Our family is so happy that we were in America for the birth so they could meet him as well.


Grace loves her little brother.  She didn’t know how she would like it when I was pregnant, but she loves holding him.  I’m sure it’ll be even more fun when he’s out of the newborn phase.  She’s looking forward to dressing him up.    They say that life changes when you have a baby.  Ours has definitely changed so far.  I’m sure that there are more changes to come, but I know that God will be with us through every change to come.


Start discussion »

Leave a Reply